Re: [OT I think] Which Distro?

On 02/26/2009 05:35 PM, David Jardine wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 03:20:04PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
Has there ever been an official 16 bit linux kernel?
I could be wrong but I think the closest would be Minix '87 running on 8086, Linus was not doing his thing until '91 or maybe later, he may have started on a 8086, not sure.

No, Linux was began as an effort to learn 80386 assembly internals.

Many years ago someone on this list claimed to be running Debian on an 80386SX, which was, I think, 16-bit (as opposed to the 80386DX).
Hamm or Slink, I believe.

The 80386SX was absolutely a 32-bit CPU. Like the MC68000 from 10 years earlier, it had a 16-bit external data bus, allowing for the use of less expensive parts.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.