How to make HAL sleep and hibernate signals trigger suspension/hibernation

On my laptop, running Lenny, I'm trying to make the suspend and hibernate keys
work. Currently they have no effect. 'lshal -m' shows that the two keys work -
it shows the following output for the two keys:

Start monitoring devicelist:
19:47:26.014: platform_i8042_i8042_KBD_port_logicaldev_input condition
ButtonPressed = sleep
19:47:30.038: platform_i8042_i8042_KBD_port_logicaldev_input condition
ButtonPressed = hibernate

How can these events be hooked up to make suspension and hibernation actually
occur? I've tried configuring global shortcuts in KDE 4, but haven't succeeded
in making anything happen. But presumably there must be some more basic way of
using the HAL events.