hal and alsa and order of audo devices (USB and onboard)

Hello,

I was having problem with detection of my audio devices during a reboot
when a USB headset was connected. A kind soul had suggested what to do
in one of my earlier queries about this.

So here is what I did:

1. Appended this to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
#added by HS, 20090223, to prevent MS usb headset from getting number 0
#options snd-usb-audio index=1
alias snd-card-0 snd_ens1371
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-3 snd-usb-audio
#for the PCI audio card
options snd_ens1371 index=0
#for MS LifeChat LX-3000 USB headset, Logitech A-0356A USB headset
options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x045e,0x046d pid=0x070f,0x0a01

Now, while rebooting with the LX-3000 USB headset connected, I get this:
$> aplay -l
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 ], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The order shown above is now what I get consistently. Earlier I never
got the AudioPCI if LX-3000 was connected while rebooting. But why is
LX-3000 named as default here and how do I make sure that the AudioPCI
is the default always?

Thanks.

ever having been read.