Re: OT: file system versus databases

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul:

> For instance, grep "something" country/2005/??/01/foo.txt
>
> It gives an instant result. Thats how we are using it and we love it.

Are there a lot of files in each directory, or are there a lot of directories?

One thing I can think off the top of my head when
organizing/retrieving data this way (other than using an rDBMS) is
that the directory read function doesn't scale very well, especially
when doing something like ls over a large directory of mail.

Have you looked at indexers for your data, to see how well that helps,
such as swish++?