Secret newlines in openoffice

I'm trying to store openoffice test files in a format that's friendly to
revisino control systems -- thus text should be broken up into reasonably
short lines so that edits are likely to be on different lines and not
conflict during a merge.  Che compressed zipped directories are, of
course, no good for this.

the .fodt file format at first looed promising.  It wasn't compressed, so
it was plausible that textual changes could show up as textual changes.
Unfortunately, the entire document is not one line of xml text.

Is there any way to force OpenOffice to insert lots of extra otherwise
redundant newlines into the file at standard locations?  Soch as after
every XML tag, after every sentence, after every comma, or somehting like
that?  None of these would affect the semantics (as far as I know), but
they would make the text a lot easier to difference and merge.

Or is there a revision control system that's immune to the long line
problem.

-- hendrik