Adding users when in gnome

I installed Lenny using a netinstall disc. Last night as root, I used a
'startx' to start a Gnome desktop. While in the session, I decided to use
the administrative tool to add a few users. All seemed to be normal, but
when I exited the session and went to the /etc/passwd file, and the
/etc/shadow none of the users were actually added, but the associated
groups were. I deleted the groups and then at the command prompt, I used
adduser which properly added the users, passwords, and created the home
directories. I used Debian since Potato days. Though I am normally at the
command prompt, I have in the past added users without a problem using the
graphical tools. I think someone should look into the issue fairly
rapidly. I am at work right now so I can't use the suggested tool for
submitting a bug report.

Thank you.

Alan Polinsky