Wireless Setup Problem

I installed a Debian system including Gnome 2.22.3 on my OLPC (One
Laptop per Child) laptop from a usb drive and tried to make a wireless
connection to our LAN.

After numerous tries (details below) I succeeded yesterday afternoon.

Today nothing works.  When I put the cursor on the network icon the
message "manual network configuration" appears and when I click on the
icon the message "no network devices have been found" appears.  If I
open a terminal and enter iwconfig everything is just I left it
yesterday.

A part of the problem is that our LAN uses static ip addresses not dhcp.
Yesterday I tried iwconfig and ip commands without success. Finally, in
/usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian I found I could edit
/etc/network/interfaces and add to the iface eth1 inet static stanza the
lines

	wireless-essid foo
	wireless-mode ad-hoc

Immediately after I did this putting the cursor on the network icon
showed three signals - one for our lan and two for the neighbors.  The
system connected to our lan and through the gateway to the internet.

As I said, today nothing works though iwconfig shows out essid and mode
ad-hoc and Link Quality=100/100 Signal Level=0 dBm Noise Lever= -96 dBm.

What could have gone wrong?