problem with my (global) environment

Hi,

I just recently upgraded my etch server to lenny, and except for one problem it ended up upgrading very well. During the upgrade though I saw a lot of notices or warnings I believe that my environment is not set (properly). Basically it said that my LANGUAGE and related variables are not set. I thought I had used locale way back and set my machine for both en_US and de_DE, but I might be mistaken, or is this something completely separate.?

My question is - apparently I should set this to a particular language (?), and if so how? I do believe the system said it was going to use the default, but is it better to specifically set this up, and can this be set to more than one, like en_US and de_DE??

Thanks in advance for your help!
Robert