Re: What do people do about large clock scews

On 02/22/2009 12:30 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
I have debian lenny in several vmware applications on different
windows machines so some of them don't get run too often.

I noticed firing up one that hasn't been run for a few weeks that the
time is off a by several of hours.

To get it up to speed, looks like I'd have to shut ntpd down, run
ntpdate then restart ntp.

I'm thinking this might be a bit of a problem in other situations
than my experimental setup.

I'm guessing people are writing their own init script to run ntpdate
on boot ahead of ntp, but I'm not yet conversant enough with the init
script maze to know how to do that handily.

I can script something to run ntpdate alright but getting it timed to run
ahead of ntp may be a bit more daunting.

But first, is there already a defacto way of doing this?

AFAICT, ntpdate is run when networking is started, before ntp is run.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.