Re: grub failure after recent dist-upgrade

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:36:42 -0800
"Todd A. Jacobs" <tjacobs-tmp-1235597804.7b533c@codegnome.org> wrote:

Hello Todd,

    error: unknown command 'initrd'
How can I recover from this?

First, you need to get the system up.  Do this by editing the boot
command so the first two lines get removed.  That is, the ones that
begin

set root=
&
search --fs-uuid

If that doesn't start the system correctly, you'll have to drop to a
grub command line (possibly after a reboot) and enter the lines
beginning

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2
then
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Once you get the system up, comment out all occurrences of the lines
starting (as root)

set root=
&
search --fs-uuid

All should now work correctly.  Why those two lines stuff things up, I
don't know.  However, since you're the only other person I know of that
has this issue, I'm guessing it's not a universal problem.

I had the same problem and solved by commenting out the set and search lines in grub.cfg:
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.26-1-686" {
#       set root=(hd0,1)
#       search --fs-uuid --set 49db5ebc-7a54-4501-9c3f-12a2e2a36f78
       linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro
       initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686
}
I am running lenny i386.
-Peter