Re: testing or unstable?

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Michael M. Moore writes:
>> Many people have no problem with doing updates daily or nearly that
>> frequently.  I don't like to be updating quite so often, and I don't like
>> it taking very long when I do it.  Sid always has a lot of updates
>> ... always.
>
> Why would the mere fact that some DD has uploaded a new version of a
> package to Sid compel you to install it?
> --

Because it's there, of course.  :-)

It's not that I felt compelled to install every new package as it
showed up, but I did feel a bit more pressure to perform more frequent
updates than I wanted to.  With Lenny (when it was testing), most of
the time I updated once a week, except when I wanted to install
something new, then I'd go ahead and update everything while I was
installing the new package because there usually wasn't that much that
needed updating.  The weekly updates didn't usually take very long,
some weeks more than others.  (OO.org, of course, always being a large
download.)  With Sid, waiting a week between updates meant loads of
new versions, and even updating mid-week when I was installing
something new meant a lot of updates.  I have a moderate DSL
connection, by no means top-tier and not as speedy as cable.  I get
impatient, but yes, I do also feel compelled to install updates when I
see them there and I'm already installing something else anyway.
Sometimes you have to, in order to install what you want.

Anyway, I'm just more comfortable with testing -- not saying it's
better and everyone who doesn't want stable should use testing rather
than unstable, just saying it's better for me.  Generally, it gets
newish stuff at a good clip, with the occasional package lagging
behind here or there; it has security support; it's not as fast a
moving target as unstable.

Michael M.

--
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add