Re: Upgrade procedure: etch -> lenny

On Friday 20 February 2009 00:44:11 Chris Jones wrote:
> > > 2. apt-get update
> > > 2. replace "etch" by "lenny" in /etc/sources.list
> >
> > These steps need to be reversed, obviously.
>
> Thought the "apt-get update" stage ensured system was up-to-date before
> the upgrade plunge, thus that my apt sources should point to the "etch"
> repository.

Herewith a simplistic explanation.  I'm sure that I shall get corrected where
I have deviated from the strictly technically correct! ;-)

apt-get update doesn't render the system up-to-date.  It updates the list of
available packages.  So if you want to upgrade to Lenny, you must first
update your list of available packages to Lenny: therefore you must alter
your sources.list _before_ you update the list of available packages.
Otherwise you won't get a proper upgrade because your system will not know
what is available.

HTH
Lisi