exim4: auth. to smarthost - what to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to?

Title: exim4: auth. to smarthost - what to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to?

In exim4, what value should AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS be set to to enable
authentication associated feature?

My exim4 (on Sarge) is set up in smarthost mode, and I'm trying to set up authentication to my smarthost, my
ISP's SMTP server.

I found some documentation saying to set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS
(in AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS), but I haven't yet found any that says
_what_ to set it to.

I tried simply setting to true like this:

   AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

but that yields the error:

   # /etc/init.d/exim4 restart
   Restarting MTA: 2009-02-19 11:03:43 Exim configuration error in line 637 of /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.\
   tmp:
     authenticator name missing
   Invalid new configfile /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp
   not installing /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.tmp to /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

Line 637 is the

    AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

line.

(When I don't try to set it, my exim4 doesn't use authentication when talking to
my ISPs SMTP server, and it rejects the connection with "550 5.7.1 Authentication
required.)

Thanks,
Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]