Re: Live-Helper. Became root

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:33:14 -0500
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 06:55:09PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I have forgotten how to become root on a customised usb-hdd which I
> > built with the aid of lh_clean, lh_config and lh_build.  The system
> > boots nicely from the usb stick and opens a gnome desktop.  I can open
> > console displays (F1, etc) as a regular user but I wish to switch to
> > root to make some modifications.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> After further experiment I found sudo bash lets me become root and su
> user returns to the default normal user.

You are running too many nested bash sessions this way.

The better way if you don't know (or there is no) the root password is to do
sudo su to become root and either Ctrl-D on an empty line or logout to go back
to the regular user

Otherwise sudo bash runs another bash session and sudo user leaves root logged
in and adds to the stack of user logins.