Re: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:00:51PM +0500, Farid Ansari wrote:

> *Dear Sir's,
> I downloaded and installed the new Debian 5.0 Lenny and was very happy with
> the installer which is the best of all Linux installers.
> After installation I am not able to run the system.
> I come to the screen where it asks for the user and password, after these
> are entered i get the $ sign. When I type 'startx' it does not start the
> operating system.

Are you sure you installed X?

Log in as root, and try 'aptitude install kde'
or 'aptitude install gnome'
to get a working desktop environment installed -- they should bring X with
them.

If aptitude is not installed then either 'apt-get install aptitude' or use
apt-get in place of aptitude.

If they turn out to be already installed and still won't run, come back.

richard