RE: Re: lenny on x86

[snip]
> > They are Pentium 90mhz, 64MB ram, 4-6GB hard
> > drives. They have no onboard lan, one usb 1.1 port (can't boot off
of
> > it), 2 PCMICA slots, no cdrom drive, and an external
parallel-attached
> > floppy disc.
>
> Do they have some kind of running system on them?

Fraid not. They were wiped before I got them.

> Otherwise, I'd recommend you take the HD out
> and do the install on some other machine (or at least use the other
> machine to place the hd-install files).  For most laptops (sadly not
> all), taking out the drive is very quick&painless, and external
> enclosures are pretty cheap (I got mine next door for $20) and it's
> always good to have one handy.

Love my external drive bay (it is one that can take SATA, IDE, and
laptop IDE). However, the amount of pain to take these things apart
isn't funny. It is layered such that you remove the keyboard, then the
motherboard, then the daughterboard, and the drive is at the very
bottom. I have been unable to find an easier way to get to them and I
accidently broke the one I took apart. :-[ Not that it really matters
because I have others... Still I would rather not do that with the
others.

> > Someone just recommended to me installing to a USB thumbdrive and
using
> > a floppy to load grub to boot off the USB thumbdrive.
>
> Grub can only load a kernel from a disk seen by the BIOS, so that
> probably won't work.  At least, you'll need to put not just Grub but
> also a kernel+initrd on that floppy.

Good to know!  Thanks for the info!

~Stack~