Re: Debian VPN IPSEC interface

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:04:43PM +0100, Martin Hilpert wrote:
> i need the ipsecX device for doing the routing stuff with quagga and for
> Firewall rules

I am not sure about quagga, but I used use ipsecX for firewall rules as
well, but if you check out iptables there are new(? old by now) function
for picking ipsec'ed packets.

The simplest is to mark the packet whilst its encapsulated and restore
the mark once it is un encapsulated

you can match on policy, there are ways around it

note it has been a while since I play with ipsec, the time i was using
it was around the time of freeswan openswan and the 2 ipsec stacks.  I
believe the in kernel stack won, but with the swan userland tools much
easier to use.

I had become used to use the ipsecX interfaces, but with a bit of
reading and relooking at the problem found that I could do all the stuff
I wanted to with the new tools.

my understanding of the packet path is

for inbound terminating on this box you see the packet twice, once as an
encrypted packet (presuming you are using that feature) and then once as
an unencrypted packet.

but on the way out you only see the unencrypted packet.

routing should still be the same though, the encrypted endpoint it
available via the normal nic interface instead of a ipsecX.  One problem
we faced was with multiple paths ( redundant links )

Alex