Re: make - doesn't find header file but file is available

Benjamin Schmidt wrote:
> Hello community
>
> Maybe this is one of the beginner questions answered more than a
> thousand times without becoming visible in google search ;)
>
> Some projects to compile with gcc/make come with the script ./configure.
> They are easy for me to build. But what I have now is a project without
> it. And although I have the specific dev-package installed (in this case
> its libdrm-dev an some others) it doesn't find the header files. The
> quick-and-dirty solution is to copy these h-files into the project-space.
>
> So the question is: How can I configure without ./configure in the
> general way?

It looks like you are compiling a program using the gcc compiler (I am
guessing since you have not shown any errors or message which show the
problem).

In gcc you specify a path to look for headers files using the -I switch.
This way, whatever include statements have <filename.h>, those files
will be searched under system default paths and the paths you specify
using -I.

Furthermore, library paths are specified by -L and libraries are
specified by -l (small L). NB: Order in which these are specified matters.

This might be helpful:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/an_introduction_to_gcc/gccintro_22.html

Regards.

ever having been read.