Re: Postgresql 8.3 Question

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

> From: Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.3 Question
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:57AM -0800, Dancing Fingers
> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I'm used to Postgresql 7.4  but when Debian 5 came
> out I had to try
> > it.  Everything was okay except the ATI driver killed
> my tvtime but I
> > can live with that (dual monitors are more important).
>  The part I
> > can't live  without is Postgresql -8.3.  I've
> supposedly installed
> > postfesql-8.3, postgresql-common, the 8.3 client and
> server.  I'm used
> > to tweaking /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and
> /etc/postgresql/
> > postgresql.conf in 7.4, so that I have local access to
> the db but

$ ls /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/
environment  pg_hba.conf  pg_ident.conf  postgresql.conf  start.conf

After I had installed it, by default, evry one had local
access (after having done this kind
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-createuser.html
of create user)

> > these files aren't there and there's no log
> file?  Is Postgresql 8.3
> > that much different than 7.4 or am I looking at a bad
> package
> > install?  The directory structure seems to be there
> but many
> > directories are empty.  When I "su postgres"
> than I "psql template1" I
> > get complaints about some Dir not authorized (I'm
> not at the box right
> > now.)

I think all what you need is:
$ dpkg -l | grep postgre|grep -v gambas|gawk '{print $2 " = " $3}'
postgresql = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-8.3 = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-client-8.3 = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-client-common = 94lenny1