Will installing libc6-i686 on my i586 crunch my installation?

Hi,

I am running Sarge on an old Pentium-90 (i586).
When I try to install autossh I am asked to install libc6-i686:

> mesrv:~# apt-get install autossh
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abh�ngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
> Die folgenden zus�tzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
>  libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
> Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
>  glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychain

So libc6-i686 is under the "recommended packes", hope that translation
is accurat.

However, as I said my system is an i586 - so will installing it cause
any problems?
Do you have any idea why apt recommends to install an i686 version,
desite the fact that I have an i586?

Thank you in advance, Clemens