Re: testing or unstable?

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:02:38PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> so now I'm thinking of switching to a testing/unstable Debian version for good.
>
> Now, my question is: which one is more advisable, testing or unstable?
>
> Excuse the basicness of my question, thanks for any reply

This is deep question :-)

There are several factors:
  what you want by doing this?
    security, stability, newness, ...
  What kind of timing are we in now?

Just after new release: stable (for 1-2 month from now)
After security service for testing reactivated: testing (or unstable if you want newer)
After freeze: testing/unstable

Really, difference is small.  I will run unstable in 1 month.  But since
you are asking here, I recommend to be a bit conservative and stick to
what I wrote above.

More detailed information in here;

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#debianarchivebasics

Osamu