Re: testing or unstable?

On 02/17/2009 07:02 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
I've been using Debian for more than three years now, but always using the
official DVDs of the most current stable version: first Sarge, and then Etch.

Recently, many times I've been needing to use a testing/unstable Debian version
for many applications that were too old in stable Debian, so now I'm thinking
of switching to a testing/unstable Debian version for good.

Now, my question is: which one is more advisable, testing or unstable?

Excuse the basicness of my question, thanks for any reply

Which do you need more, stability or modernity?  IOW, job or home?

I've been running Unstable for approx 5 years, with *very* few problems. But there have been some. Like when X was broken for 4 days! (Fortunately, I had migrated my email to a local IMAP store, away from mbox files specific to Evolution. Thus, I was able to use mutt from the console to read email.)

Another example: this week, Sid is upgrading to GNOME 2.24 and during this period, there will be breakages. Thus, I won't be upgrading until next week when things will have hopefully settled down.

These big issues don't happen often, though.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification