Graphical Installer: swap and partition table modifications

My first impressions of the GUInstaller are very favourable as far as I
have gone (up to partitioning) but was unable to select a suitable
install partition without an overview of the machine configuration in
paragraph 3, below.

Any chance of displaying partition labels (as in gnome partition manager
for example) in the graphical installer. It helps guard possible
partition bloomers!!

For historical reasons which are not relevant, I have a machine with 4
disks; 2 IDE (hda hdb)and 2 sata (sda sdb). There is swap space ~1GB on
each of hda, sda and sdb. I have sdb partitioned with 3 primary and an
extended partition with 11 logical volumes formatted with ext3  (SCSI
max. 15 partitions). When I set / (root) as say /sdbx in manual
partitioning mode with any combination (including none) of swap
partitions (whether swap formatting is selected or not), the partitioner
says that hdb sda and sdb partition tables will be modified. What I want
to know is whether swaps by uuid, label  etc. of coexisting linux
distributions will be disturbed by choosing no swap and keeping (K) the
(nascent) ext3 root. It's just so inconvenient to have to chase the
uuids through the multiboot environment. Why would the partition tables
for hdb sda and sdb be changed if their corresponding swaps were not
used?? The only change would be to the sdb partition table to set /sdbx
as / (and maybe a label on /sdbx for convenience) formatting being
unnecessary in this case.

I have not written the partition selections to disk yet as I am
uncertain as to what the outcome will be viz a viz other current useful
coexisting distros.

Uncertainly

Z K Dabek