backports keyring

Tried "apt-get install debian-backports-keyring" and got the message

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  debian-backports-keyring
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? E: Some packages could not be authenticated

I terminated at that point. Can anyone tell me what the problem is (yeah, I know, the problem is it can't be authenticated. Now that we have that out of the way.....) and if there is a solution?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
 check the price of the beer"