Re: locale broken

* Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> [2009 Feb 14 04:43 -0600]:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:20:46PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > >
> > > Try set LANG in /etc/environment along these lines:
> > > LANG="en.US.UTF-8"
> >
> > No. Use "dpkg-reconfigure locales" instead.
>
> Would you care to explain your rationale for this?
> Is it merely the debian way, or are there other ramifications?

On a Debian system it works and is the preferred way.  Also, if the
locale is changed to one not previously selected the new locale will be
generated.  Merely editing a file wouldn't seem to force this action.
So, yes, doing things the "Debian way" on a Debian based system does
have other ramifications.

More information at:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

- Nate >>