Re: [OT] Friday the 13th

On 02/11/2009 08:54 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:23:25AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/11/2009 05:17 AM, Dave Sherohman wrote:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:11:06PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
Extremes are, by definition, outliers. Like all outliers, they'll have to make do with something designed for the majority.

Sounds like what a USonian would say to a Canadian, Eh?

Go drink some Molson, you hoser!  Eh?

Of course time zones are a good idea. Humans are still diurnal and like seeing the clock say "morning" when they wake up after a night's sleep. A clock who's 00:00 is at what is now 06:00 would be coherent with our nature.

Clocks haven't been around long enough (under 200 years for the majority
of western peoples to see a clock when then wake up) for them to be part
of our nature.  Habit yes, nature no.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  For once...  Eh?

And yes, DST *is* a good idea in a non-agrarian society, since we "all" (note the quotes) go to work at the same time. Even though during the summer the Sun rises earlier in the day, we still "all" go to work at the same time, so that extra amount of daylight in the early morning is wasted, since there's nothing we can do with it.

Thus, shifting back the clock one our artificially gives us one extra hour of light in the evening.

Which means we spend less energy in a 24 hr period, which is why DST in
North America was extended.

Actually, studies (and who really knows how valid the studies or their data are...) have shown that extending DST into November cost some energy. Most Republican politicians really are candidates for Very Very Very Late-Term Abortion.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification