Re: [OT] Friday the 13th

On 02/11/2009 08:32 AM, Jack Schneider wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:06:36 -0600

On 02/11/2009 07:47 AM, Jack Schneider wrote:
[snip]
We are probably the only entities in the universe who spend so much
energy keeping track of the number of times our planet spins.
How bazaar!
How can you make such a comment when you have *no clue* as to what any other entity does?

RE:  "probably"

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

probably
    adv 1: with considerable certainty; without much doubt; "He is
           probably out of the country"; "in all likelihood we are
           headed for war" [syn: {probably}, {likely}, {in all
           likelihood}, {in all probability}, {belike}]
    2: easy to believe on the basis of available evidence; "he
       talked plausibly before the committee"; "he will probably win
       the election" [syn: {credibly}, {believably}, {plausibly},
       {probably}] [ant: {implausibly}, {improbably}, {incredibly},
       {unbelievably}]

Based on these definitions, your statement is a fallacy:
(Logic) An argument, or apparent argument, which professes
        to be decisive of the matter at issue, while in reality it
        is not; a sophism.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification