Re: Browsing offline filesystems

On 2009-02-10_10:12:03, Ken Irving wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:47:12AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 2009-02-10_12:56:53, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
> > > to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
> > > small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
> > > any particular machine that is not present at the moment.
> >
> > The -s option in cp makes it create soft links rather than a actual
> > copy of leaf files. You can use this to create a pure softlink copy
> > of whatever structure you are interested in, and then copy this to
> > the other computer. You will get on the other computer, the whole
> > structure with each actual file represented by a broken softlink.
>
> But the permissions would be not useful, with all bits set, e.g.,
>
>     lrwxrwxrwx 1 ken ken 27 2009-02-10 10:04 Quote.pdf -> ../Quote.pdf
>
> Seems like this might need another step to represent the permissions
> properly.
>
> Ken

It works fine if you are the same user number on the two machines. On
all my machines, I am user 1000, for example. If I were to install
a different distribution that starts user numbering at 500, things
would be a mess, unless someone on the list knows a trick...

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net