Re: [OT] Friday the 13th

On 2009-02-10_13:11:06, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/10/2009 12:49 PM, Eric Gerlach wrote:
>>> There is no hope of it ever being implemented of course, but what would
>>> really be useful would be a standard whereby dates and times (even when
>>> embedded in text) would transmitted and stored in UTC but displayed
>>> according to the locale of the user.
>>
>> Anyone else remember Internet Time?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time
>
> Days beginning (near) daybreak, and years beginning on a seasonal
> boundary and having 13 each 28 day months are also good ideas that won't
> get implemented.  Too much inertia.

There are good reasons for keying the local time to the local culture.
Its not inertia, but refusal of the local population to bow down to
foreign domination. The Muslim world has its own calendar. (Muslims might
well say, the infidel world has its own calendar.) I prefer the infidel
calendar, which has a complex set of rules that keep the calendar in sync
with the four seasons. Muslims do not have this convenient feature in
their calendar, yet they manage.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net