Re: Which programming Language

On 2009-02-10_10:12:00, John Hasler wrote:
> owens writes:
> > For some Engineers (particularly Electrical) that need to know how the
> > CPU functions, Assembler is essential.
>
> Programmers need to know how cpus work and so should learn an assembly
> language first.  MIXAL will do.
> --
> John Hasler

One of the promises made by Ritchie, et. al. to management of Bell
Labs was that it could be used to code hardware drivers and other
difficult stuff, and that it would minimize the need for assembly
language coding experts. At the time, AT&T was building, and renting
private telephone exchanges which were computer driven. Each customer
needed to have their own business rules coded into the exchange. The
cost, and delays, were a big problem to the company. Especially
because they were also attempting to design and build their own
special computers for these exchanges.

I think this has turned out to be largely true. Now, IMHO, the only
people who _must_ learn about hardward op-codes of individual cpu
designs, are the people who write the adaptations of compilers to
enable targeting that cpu . Somebody will always have to know these
op-code sets in intimate detail. But the number of people who can earn
a living from such knowledge is becoming vanishingly small, when
compared to the number of people doing software.

Assembly language as a part of pedagogy is, to me, not very useful.
I think C, in an early version, with fewer whistles and bells, can
be used as an effective teaching device. It is very close to what
the hardware is actually doing.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net