crontab command and permissions problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem trying to execute the "crontab" command from a perl script. I'm writing to this list cause the same set up works in another distro. Now i'm moving to Debian for convenience, but I'm having this problem i can't fix.

The thing is... I'm using SNMP to automatize some processes on the server, for example, to create a system user remotely. The script that handles the creation of the user and so on is written in perl. The thing is that, this way, i can create users, delete them and access absolutely path in the server, cause... after all it is executed as root.

However, i'm facing only one problem with all the automated calls i've had... i can't use "crontab". When i call this command from the SNMP system, i get this:

"must be privileged to use -u"

the procedure is...

1. i create a cron file for a particular user in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/username
2. i run "crontab -u username /var/spool/cron/crontabs/username"

I've tried to create the cron file, somewhere else, or to give it 777 permissions, but i always get the same error message. I've even tried to log a "whoami" command before it executes "crontab", and it says it's root, but then it says it is not allowed to execute the command.

I've also tried to create the /etc/cron.allow file and many other things i've found on several posts, but none has worked.

Could some tell me how to fix this or if there's another way to do same thing?

Basically, i want to create a per-user crontab file. is there any other way to do it a part from using "crontab" command?

Thanks.