Re: Which programming Language

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:07:12PM -0500, Napoleon wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 05:17:33PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >>Plus, it's not like Ada compilers can't have extensions.
> >
> >If an Ada compiler wants to have an extension and still pass the test as
> >a certified Ada compiler, it has to do extenstions within the framework
> >provided for in the standard.
>
> Ada is a decent language, but little used outside of the government.
> The business world has not embraced it, and if it weren't for the
> government requirements, it would have gone the way of SNOBOL by now.
>
> A programmer who only knows Ada will starve unless he can get a job for
> the government or a government contractor.

The OP still hasn't told us what prompted the OP.  As I said, if he's
looking to learn for a job, he should talk to prospective employers.

The government requirements have expired; the US gov't has moved to more
COTS.

OTOH, if the OP is interested in aerospace, like upgrading the software
on the Boeing 777, he'll need Ada.

Doug.