Re: device UUID versus /dev

Title: Re: device UUID versus /dev

Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:51:12PM +0100, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What are the advantages by using
>> drives are now identified by UUID
>> over  than /dev/xxx;
>
> you don't have to worry about ordering. I prefer to LABEL. that way it
> doesn't matter what order the disks are found they always load up
> properly.

Be careful if you ever do a raw copy of a partition's data to another
(e.g., to move a file system from one partition to another).  Since
file system UUIDs and labels are both written in the partition, right
after the copy you'll have two partitions/file systems with the same
UUID or label.  Be sure to delete or zero out enough of the old
partition before trying to re-mount the file system.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]