Re: Cloning methods

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

partimage is for 'cloning' of most types of partitions.

For linux partitions (ext3), however I prefer 'rsync -a', since it
copies files and is more efficient IMHO. This applies especially, if you
just want to update a few files on the already installed systems. (With
'cloning' you'll have to do the full job again, instead of just syncing
a few files. )

For identical hardware, ie. you want to partition all your disks just
the same without much hassle, partimage will partition and copy in one go.

For ntfs your best choice is probably ntfsclone.

> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]

You could just use a usb housing/adapter and plug and clone the 15 disks
of the 15 computers one after the other. This way you don't have to boot
each of the computers to a live system in order to do the copying. YMMV.

Cheers,
Johannes