Re: Does anyone understand terminal job control?

On Saturday 07 February 2009 22:59:25 Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:43:11PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 February 2009 18:58:13 Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   I've been banging my head on this one for a while.
> >
> > The source for /bin/dash and /bin/bash are available.  You might should
> > be able to peruse them and find the correct way to
> > suspend/resume/detach/etc. processes.
>
> Would the screen program (or its sources) be of any help?

My first guess would be no.  Screen does not multiplex the terminal the same
way job control does.  In particular, processes in a screen window that is no
active that attempt to write to the terminal are *not* suspended (via signal
or otherwise).  Instead, each screen window is its own "pseudo"-tty, so the
processes can write to them while one of them is reflected in the tty attached
to screen.

(I could be wrong though, I'm not a expert in the source of any of these
programs.)