postgresql postrm script needs work

Having failed to install postgresql on sid for reasons already discussed on this list, I ran updatedb then did locate postgresql | less to see what I could find. Not to my surprise, I found all kinds of postgresql cruft littering my system after having done aptitude remove --purge postgresql in all of its suffix variations. When that script fails to do an install, it also fails to clean up after itself too. The exim4 package and firebird packages are also the same in this respect. What I'm wondering about is what happens if a dirty system results as a result of a failed installation and later a good installation happens is it expected under debian standards that the system will be innocent of any old cruft from that failed installation?