Re: Which programming Language

> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).

I hear that Python is an excellent learning language.  However, I
think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
still relied on some features that teach bad habits.  Also, I do not
believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.

If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
 (If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)

C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
progress.