Question about procmail and exim4

I am running fetchmail, exim4, and procmail on a standard Lenny
installation. It all seems to be working as intended but I noticed
something while reading procmail documentation about which I am
puzzled:

The documentation says that to get an MTA (exim4?) to forward email to
procmail for processing, I need to have a .forward file in ~/ and that
it needs a certain magic string in it.  But I don't have a .forward
file in my home directory, and it _is_ working, so how is the link-up
established in Debian?

And, as always, where should I have looked to find this in the
documentation?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon