Re: Distinguishing SATA disks

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:23:06AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'm currently running an etch system, soon to be updated to Lenny.
>
> I recently installed two identical internal SATA disks and spend a few
> days bad-block testing them.  They passed.
>
> They show up as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
>
> As far as I know, these /dev designators are dynamically assigned at boot

yes, they are dynamically assign by the driver modules that are loaded
at boot time and the driver modules check the pci bus in sequential
order each time, so unless you are changing the physical layout of the
pci bus on your machine don't worry.

Other times to worry when you are talking to san LUN, there might be a
change of a LUN timing out.

> time.  (I've had previous problems with multiple eth devices, solved by
> removing the ones I didn't need).
>
> How can I ensure that the same /dev's are always associated with the same
> physical drives?  Or am I misunderstanding something here and has the
> problem become obsolete?

you can use udev rules to find the id of the device, another way is to
rely on LABELS or UUID for partitions instead of device names.