Re: AD-like environment under Linux

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:45:26PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/02/2009 03:11 PM, Nagy Dániel wrote:
>> Is there an Active Directory - like "environment" under Linux? [I mean
>> like the roaming profile, - that a user sits to any computer, and can
>> log in with user/pass, and see he's desktop.]
>>
>>           Linux server
>>            /               \
>> Linux clients?      Windows clients?
>>
>> OR:
>>
>>          Windows server with
>>             /                 \
>> Linux clients?      Windows clients?
>>

>> eg.: I have a Linux server, and can a Windows client log in with eg. a
>> roaming profile?
>
> Samba4 is what you want.  But documentation is sparse.  Hope you have a
> test LAN.

Ouch !
No need to the still experimental and unfinished samba 4 for that.

It works great with actual samba.

I use a samba share (under Debian) to provide roamng profiles to a Windows/Citrix farm.
Samba, via winbind, use AD for authentification and ACLs.

For the Linux client part of the question, Unix systems uses "roaming profiles" for decades.
In fact, it is not roaming profiles, it's just a home on a server, mounted via NFS on the clients via automount, even diskless.
Atuhentification can be done via NIS, LDAP or ... AD...