Re: I don't need an MTA

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 01/31/2009 07:28 PM, Aneurin Price wrote:

>> I'm curious however what it is you have installed that depends on exim, or
>> the
>> mail-transport-agent virtual package. I have no MTA installed on my
>> machine, and
>> no breakages.
>>
>> Would you mind posting the output of 'aptitude why mail-transfer-agent' or
>> 'aptitude why exim', whichever is more enlightening?
>
> How do you get system mail from cron?

I don't. I have nothing run by cron whose output I care about even slightly
:P. It's mostly things like updatedb and prelink.

I have one machine with a real MTA configured on it, and a 'proper' mail
config, and I don't believe I've had a single system mail worth reading in
years. This would be different if I were running unattended servers like
apache or postgres, obviously, but I try to keep my main desktop as
lightweight as possible.

Nye