Re: Use of Swap Space

On Sunday 01 February 2009 17:04:38 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > So a stick of memory advertised as 4 Gigabytes is going to present itself
> > to your computer as 3.84 Gibibytes, roughly.
>
> Er... what's the standard in Debian? 1024, right? We're still being
> logical here, right?

Sorry, it's more like 3.72 Gibibytes.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with Debian. It has to do with the fact that
computers are binary, and memory manufacturers advertise their products by
measuring in multiples of 10. Some might say that practice is dishonest, but
it is also universal at this point.

And the Kibibyte/Mebibyte/Gibibyte nomenclature was introduced by the IEEE
like 10 years ago, so people really should be familiar with it by now. :)