Re: Use of Swap Space

On 2009-01-31 02:52:34 +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:54:34AM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:
> > I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of
> > my CPU is high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also
> > discovered that my swap space is being used while only 13% of the
> > RAM is, why isn't is using the rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any
> > ideas why?
>
> No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.

If the machine swaps a lot, the load average can get very high.
For instance, on my PowerBook, just because I started a process
that required much memory, the load average reached 25. I suppose
the cause is that background processes that woke up were waiting
for memory, and during this time they were regarded as running.