Re: From x86 to x86-64

Alan Ianson wrote:
> On January 30, 2009 06:11:54 am tinkywinky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed x86 version of Lenny, but I have 64-bit processor. I'd like
>> to change to use 64-bit version of debian. Is that possible without having
>> to reinstall?
>
> I think you are best off to reinstall. "dpkg --get-selections"
> and "dpkg --set-selections" might help if you want to end up in the same
> place you are now.

After saving your configurations in /etc, even better would be something like this

on the old system
  aptitude -F '%p' search '~i!~M' > manually-installed

take the file "manually-installed" to the system to be installed and command, e.g.,
  xargs < manually-installed aptitude -y install

Alternatively, save at least the information which packages are installed
automatically and restore that information:

on the old system
  aptitude -F '%p' search '~M' > automatically-installed

take the file "automatically-installed" to the otherwise restored system and
command, e.g.,
  xargs < automatically-installed aptitude -y markauto

--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.