Re: Modify the scrollback buffer in console

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:53:53PM EST, Girish Venkatasubramanian wrote:

[..]

> say I do an "ls -R /". This command will produce many screens of
> output. Using the Shift+PgUp, I can scrollback by a few screens-worth
> of lines - but the number of lines I can scrollback is limited. I
> would like to increase this.

$ ls -R / | less

Then I use CTRL+D & CTRL+U to page down/up one half-screen at a time.

> I need this to watch the output of some long running make (and
> redirecting the output to a file does not work satisfactorily). I have
> thought about using screen, but if there is a way to do it natively,
> that would work the best.

I suggest you take another look at GNU screen..  not so much for its
scroll back capabilities but for a dozen other reasons.

  http://aperiodic.net/screen/

I started using it 2-3 years ago both in X and on the linux console and
I never looked back.

CJ