Re: [OT] from LGPL to dual-license?

On Thursday 2009 January 29 22:39:51 Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 01/29/2009 10:32 PM, Jeff Soules wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:
>>> On 01/29/2009 05:27 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Note that Linus doesn't agree with that idea.
>>
>> I think I'm confused -- in that case, wouldn't Linux be the
>> larger work?
>
>Yes, but it's *dynamically* linked.  Linus takes (or, at least, he
>took, the last time I cared to look) the position that dynamic
>liking is fundamentally different than static linking.

While I didn't bookmark it and it would be incredibly difficult to find, there
is, on the internet, one review of the GPLv2 by a law professor that actually
touches on this.  Executive Summary: Dynamic linking doesn't make a
derivative works any more than running two separate binaries from the same
RAM, so the FSF's position may be a bit "overzealous".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))