Re: packages in a fresh install

On 01/27/2009 03:23 PM, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
Marcelo,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it there with:
            dpkg --clear-selections
            dpkg --set-selections <myselections

and then, in order to install the packages, should I do "aptitude update"?

# man dpkg

works wonders.  :-)  Also from the dselect man page:

    Note that this will not actually install or remove anything, but just
    set the selection state on the requested packages. You will need some
    other application to actually download and install the requested
    packages.  For example, run apt-get dselect-upgrade.

When yesterday I installed Linux dual-boot on our family machine, I relied on apt-show-versions to create a fully-featured system similar to mine.

My machine:
$ apt-show-versions > /media/thumb/package.versions.txt

Their machine, when in a minimal state:
# apt-get install \
    $(cat /media/thumb/package.versions.txt | cut -d/ -f1)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA