Re: slocate replacements

T o n g wrote:
> Since the slocate has recently been obsoleted, I'm wondering what the
> recommend replacements are.
>
> I use slocate quite a lot, especially it regular expression searching.

I use mlocate.

$ aptitude search locate
i   dlocate           - fast alternative to dpkg -L and dpkg -S
p   kio-locate        - kio-slave for the locate command
i A locate            - maintain and query an index of a directory tree
i   mlocate           - quickly find files on the filesystem based on
their name
c   slocate           - Secure replacement of findutil's locate

$ aptitude show mlocate
[...]
Package: mlocate

mlocate is a new implementation of locate, a tool to find files anywhere
in the filesystem based on their name, using a fixed pattern or a
regular expression. Unlike other tools like find(1), locate uses a
previously created database to perform the search, allowing queries to
execute much faster. This database is updated periodically from cron.

Several implementations of locate exist: the original implementation
from GNU's findutils, slocate, and mlocate. The advantages of mlocate are:

 * it indexes all the filesystem, but results of a search will only
include files that the user running locate has access to. It does this
by updating the database as root, but making it unreadable for normal
users, who can only access it via the locate binary. slocate does this
as well, but not the original locate.

 * instead of re-reading all the contents of all directories each time
the database is updated, mlocate keeps timestamp information in its
database and can know if the contents of a directory changed without
reading them again. This makes updates much faster and less demanding on
the hard drive. This feature is only found in mlocate.

Installing mlocate will change the /usr/bin/locate binary to point to
mlocate via the alternatives mechanism. After installation, you may wish
to run /etc/cron.daily/mlocate by hand to create the database, otherwise
mlocate won't work until that script is run from cron itself (since
mlocate does not use the same database file as standard locate). Also,
you may wish to remove the "locate" package in order not to have two
different database files updated regularly on your system.

Homepage: http://carolina.mff.cuni.cz/~trmac/blog/mlocate

Cheers,

Johannes