Re: Waiting for root file system...

On Friday 2009 January 23 01:38:57 lovecreatesbeauty.g-mail.c0m wrote:
>I updated kernel on debian-40r6 (2.6.18) to 2.6.28 from kernel.org,
>and got the error* "Waiting for root file system..." when booting the
>new kernel.

Ah, I've seen that a few times, myself.

>The linux's hosted in VMware Workstation 6.0. The commands I issued
>were: make defconfig, make, make modules_install install, update-
>initramfs -c -k 2.6.28.

I don't use VMWare, so I'm just going to ignore that specific piece of
information, assuming it is irrelevant.

So, I guess not a Debian kernel then.  Have you tried this setup with the
kernel packages available in Lenny/Sid?  Most likely, you are missing the
module for the virtual disk.  "make defconfig" is something I've never used,
but it is certainly possible that the kernel configuration that it generated
is missing something you need to access your drives.  If you need a more
recent kernel than is currently packaged by Debian, you might try using "make
menuconfig" *after* "make defconfig" and enabling more options.

>The /etc/fstab contains:
>/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
>0       1
>/dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0

Simple enough.

>The /boot/grub/menu.lst contains:
>root            (hd0,0)
>kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro
>initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-6-686
>
>root            (hd0,0)
>kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.1 root=/dev/sda1 ro
>initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28.1

So, 2.6.18-6-686 is your Debian kernel I guess.  Still Etch from the looks of
it.  Does that GRUB option work, or does it also leave you at "Waiting for
root file system..."?  If it works you might try taking the
config-2.6.18-6-686 from /boot and using it as a basis for "make oldconfig"
on the new kernel.  No guarantees though, "make oldconfig" is not necessarily
robust when making such large changes (.18 -> .28).

>Some said that** there will be no /dev/sda1 for the new kernel, but
>how can i know the replacement for it in new kernel? After the message
>"Waiting for root file system...", the new kernel dropped into BusyBox
>ash:

Well, that's most likely the issue.  In your specific setup (virtualized
single disk) though, the name is probably the same (/dev/sda1) its just that
you have to make sure the correct driver is loaded.  You could be missing
your filesystem driver as well, but ext3 is included in "make defconfig",
AFAIK.

>(initramfs) cat /etc/fstab
>cat: /etc/fstab: No such file or directory

Yeah, the initramfs doesn't use an fstab.  The /etc/fstab you are familiar
with resides on /dev/sda1 and that is not mounted yet.  Busybox is invoked
when the "Waiting..." times out.

>(initramfs) cat /proc/partitions
>major minor  #blocks  name

That's not good, and does seem to indicate that the driver for your disk is
not being loaded.

>Right now, I don't know how to apply volume label or UUID to solve
>this problem. Thanks for your time and help.

From within the initramfs, try:
ls -l /dev/[shm]d* /dev/mapper /dev/disk/by-*

That should list most of the block devices available to the initramfs.  If
yours in not there, you either missed a driver using the kernel configuration
process (most likely), it didn't get placed into the initramfs (possible), or
the initramfs did not load it for some unknown reason (probably not).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))