Re: sound card not detected

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Tamas Hegedus <hegedus@med.unc.edu> wrote
about 'Re: sound card not detected':
> From Boyd:
>> That's because you don't have the right kernel package installed.
>> Please run:
>> aptitude search '^linux-image-.*-686$'
>> and post the output to the list.
>
>aptitude search '^linux-image-.*-686$'
>
>i A linux-image-2.6.26-1-686                                - Linux
>2.6.26 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4

That's the one you need to reinstall.

>I tried this, too.
>I think a remove then install would work - how to do it in a safe/normal
>way?
>
>aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>Reading extended state information
>Initializing package states... Done
>Reading task descriptions... Done
>The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
>   linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
>330 not upgraded.
>Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>E: I wasn't able to locate file for the linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
>package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
>Writing extended state information... Done
>E: I wasn't able to locate file for the linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
>package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
>E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

Hrm, I haven't seen this before.  It looks like it doesn't try to download
the .deb, which normally only happens when the package is already
downloaded.  But then, when it tries to install it can't find the .deb.

A remove followed by an install might work, but during the removal,
aptitude is probably going to want to get rid of a few packages.  You
could try:
aptitude install linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686 linux-image-2.6.26-1-686_
then:
aptitude install linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686_
The old-style Xen kernel should satisfy the dependencies long enough to
remove and then install the normal kernel.

(Alternatively, there's probably a --force-* flag to dpkg that will let you
purge the package while leaving dependencies broken.  Then, you could try
the install from aptitude.  I can't recall how to do it right now, and
it's significantly more dangerous -- it leaves your system completely
without a kernel for a while.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))